tennes-seein' is tenne-believin'!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013


(via)

This past weekend, Richard and I drove up to Tennessee with Darrah to see their ma, Mary. The entire trip was that perfect mix of gluttonous, relaxing and productive (eating cookies! sleeping all day! dusting ceiling fans!), and it was so nice to get away for a hot-minute (even if it only was for a hot-minute... 2 full days there, sandwiched by two full days of driving). And the Moores are always so hilarious together! This was the second time Mary and I had ever talked in person, so it was so much fun to get to hang-out and get to know one another. :)

Throughout the days, Richard pulled out all the old family photos and documents that Mary still has in her house, and oh man, that was such a treat! Everyone was so cute! There is this one childhood picture of Darrah that I can.not. get over. (It has everything: cute hair-cut, floral shirt, tilted head pose with unnatural hand-placement...) The most common captions of the photographs were D going, "Ugh, he was such a shit head!" and R exclaiming, "Bam! I still look exactly the same!" Thank goodness for modern technology, because I made sure to take lots of pictures of pictures with my iPhone so we can show the kittens the next time we see them...

Richard, perusing an old family Bible...

Annnd, let's just talk about food for a minute. The first night we were there, we ordered out from Fino Villa, and I may have had the best eggplant parmesan of my life. Like, we're talking "Screw an Actual Dinner Plate, I'm eating this out of the styrofoam box right now!" kinda good. The last night we were there, we had a perfect home-made dinner that included steaks for the Moores, CJ's famous shrimp salad for me, roasted asparagus with garlic and lemon, and crunchy roast potatoes. We may have burnt a loaf of bread in the process, but it's a small price to pay for such a yummy culinary composition!

Then there was Justin Timberlake on SNL. Can we just collectively stop and appreciate that for a minute? I know I could have watched that anywhere, but I watched it in Tennessee, so it's relevant. I kinda freaked out with Jay-Z started performing with him. And when Tom Hanks stopped by at the beginning. Who would have ever guessed this JT would have the star-pulling-power Justin Timberlake can pull now? Just goes to show you can never assume too much about anyone! 

Finally, after a long trip home (traffic! construction! rain!), R and I made the best decision ever, which was to not unpack but to continue eating all the cookies and cake that Mary sent home with us, order an epic pizza from Whole Foods, pass out watching "Parks and Rec," and buffer it all with popcorn and kettle-corn. Is it any wonder why I'm so crazy about this dude? The whole trip was wonderful, but I was exceptionally satisfied with all of our worthless gluttony when we got home. What else are long-term relationships for?!

No comments: