emily is ten

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Sweet Emmy hit the double digits! She is ever becoming the loveliest, most imaginative little lady and this year has been so fun. She's so creative, so outrageous, and so damn witty, and we have the best seats in the house to her brilliance.



Blackberry monster!

Her daddy once described her as "twisted in the best kind of way," which is just as adorable as it is accurate. She's so not afraid of making big creative statements and she has the cutest girl-crush on her big sister. She works extremely hard in school and has one of my favorite laughs when she find something so hilarious (most often in response to her daddy's shenanigans).




This year, Emmy has blown us away with her drawings of elaborate candy mountains, piggies on her toes, and meditating Buddhists (really!). She is just as excited to have her hair and makeup done as she is to catch a fish. She's rightly earned the nickname "Business Decision Emily" (Bizzy Dizzy Emmy!) because, boy, just tell her what's required to get what she wants and then count to ten--from eating extra veggies for more computer time to pulling her loose tooth when I promised her a secret candy stash--DONESKI.

So excited to find "Flintstone furniture!" | Covering herself in mud... just cuz!


Right now Emmy is really into messy tom-boy ponytails and cherry tomatoes. She always holds my hand when we're cuddling on the couch and she's written more than one letter to her Gramma in Tennessee of her own volition. She is always willing to pose for the camera and puts on the best Backseat Car Concerts with her younger sister. She's also one of the most sociable kiddos I've ever met, but she definitely requires Lone Emmy Time every now and then.


Top Emmy quotes this year include...
"Dad... I got my eye on you." (after a very intense wrestling session!)
"What is this steel cocoon?!" (her impression of an Amish person getting in a car for the first time... really)
"Why are all the cute boys bad?!"

R: "I believe your physical dominance over your younger brother is going to come to an end very soon."
Emmy: "So I gotta live the dream now..."

Me: "You're always ready for the camera, aren't you?"
E: "Yes! I can be silly, elegant, or jumpy!"

and, of course: The Tropical Num Num Song...



This year, we had a little party for Emmy at Aunt D's, which included a baller hand-made present from Meggie (a pillow blanket with her name on it!) and lots of video games. Emmy requested burgers and red-velvet cupcakes for her Birthday Dinner and even got to spend the night with the other littles.


Emmy, right now you're in that in-between stage where you really want to grow up but you still want to be small enough to pick-up and carry. I love learning what new Top 40 radio songs you adore and I really want to figure out how to make rainbow ice-cream for you. You always ask for your own veggie smoothie when I make one for me and Daddy, and you really can't stand when your younger brother shows signs of superiority in anything. I just love when you ask to talk alone and how interested you are in learning about art. When I grow up I want as much self-confidence as you, and we just can't wait to see all the shit you get into next. :)

No comments: