you'll get it soon enough, meggie!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

"Okay, I'm onto you, alright? I know when you say you're a 'boring couple,' what you mean is that you are the luckiest and happiest couple ever." 
"No, it's not that great--I mean, we climb into sweats and watch Netflix every night." 
"Uh, that's insufferable, and you two are a bunch of scum-bags."
"The Mindy Project" Harry & Sally 

One afternoon, Meggie came into our room and said (with that "insightful," confused disgust that teenagers pull off so well), "All you guys do is watch TV together!," whiiich is equal parts true and not true. We also have our fair-share emotional/neurotic freak-outs, make kick-ass dinners, have nights where the TV doesn't come on because we just keep finding things to talk about, and take pictures/videos of the littles blowing our minds and being adorable.

However, I did tell Meggie later that her line totally cracked me up, because that's the goal, teenager! I know the goal with she and Nick is to go everywhere and do everything, but maaannnn, R and I go too many grown-up places and do too many grown-up things every day that yes, I get really excited and protective over our codependent TV time. Where the only tough decision is "Which comfy pants do I want to wear?" and "What what the last episode we watched?" Maybe it's because I grew up an only child and R always has The Lion's Share of Chaos in his life, but "boring" is the best. We always temper it with a night out with friends or a trip to King's Spa (and bless the littles for getting us moving every time we see them!), but I think the amount of joy I get from staying at home and watching a movie with my man is enough to chloroform a gorilla or two.

Basically, this is all to justify yesterday. :) We watched two movies that suuucked ("Just Go With It" and "Hick") (like, bad enough to motivate me to finish unpacking and bad enough that we turned it off without finishing it, kinda sucked) but the night still ended with me French-braiding R's hair and laughing at Louis CK, so I'll call Monday a win!

And as much I am always thinking of other stuff I "need" to be doing (working on my new blog! getting grad school stuff together! planning balanced meals!), I always find that I look back at the "worthless" night before so personally satisfied and in love with my sweet man that it totally clears my mind of all my neurosis. At least for a second. :) Because all the important stuff ends up getting done and all the unimportant things fall-off eventually, and there's very few things that are more worthwhile than doing the most boring things with the man I love most.

"I know you're tired, but just think how good you're going to feel tomorrow when you wake up and we have all new shelf paper!" 
"I wish I didn't get what you were talking about, but I do. I just do!"

"Modern Family," Best Men

No comments: